Banana Pudding with Condensed Milk is a rich and creamy dessert that has captivated the hearts and taste buds of many dessert lovers. This classic dish is perfect for family gatherings and special occasions, both as a comforting treat and an elegant dessert. Its combination of velvety pudding, sweet bananas, and crumbly wafers make it a favorite for people of all ages.
To create this luscious dessert, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 package (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 4-5 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 package (12 oz) vanilla wafers
Once you have gathered your ingredients, follow these simple steps to create a delicious and beautiful Banana Pudding with Condensed Milk.
1. Prepare the pudding mixture: In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk and cold water until smooth. Add the instant vanilla pudding mix and whisk together until it thickens. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for a few minutes to set.
2. Assemble the dessert: Begin by arranging a layer of vanilla wafers at the bottom of a trifle dish or a large glass serving bowl. Next, add a layer of banana slices, followed by a layer of the prepared pudding mixture. Repeat this process of layering until you reach the top of your dish.
3. Add the whipped cream: Top the final layer with a generous helping of whipped cream, covering the entire surface of the dessert. For an extra decorative touch, place a few additional wafers around the top edge of the dessert.
4. Refrigerate and serve: Cover the dessert with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together. When you are ready to serve, use a large spoon or spatula to ensure that each guest gets a taste of every delicious layer.
History and Curiosities
Banana Pudding with Condensed Milk traces its roots back to the late 19th century in the southern United States. While the exact origin of the recipe remains uncertain, it is believed to have been influenced by English trifle recipes. The use of sweetened condensed milk can be attributed to the innovation of Gail Borden, who patented a method for condensing milk in the 1850s. This invention allowed milk to be preserved for extended periods, making it a popular ingredient in many recipes, including our beloved Banana Pudding.
This dessert has played a significant role in American food culture, particularly in the South. Many southern families have their spin on the recipe, with some including variations such as homemade pudding or using different types of cookies. Banana Pudding has become a staple at family reunions, church gatherings, and holiday feasts. In fact, it even has its national day, which is celebrated on August 27th.
Over the years, Banana Pudding has become popular far beyond the southern United States, enjoyed by people from all walks of life. Its rich, creamy, and comforting nature makes it a timeless dessert that continues to win the hearts of those who taste it. Whether you grew up eating this delightful treat or are discovering it for the first time, one thing is certain – Banana Pudding with Condensed Milk is a dessert that will make you feel right at home.