Decadent Banana Pudding with Cream Cheese: A Southern Treat is not only a delicious and satisfying dessert, but it also holds a rich history within southern American culture. This delightful treat is perfect for family gatherings, potlucks, or just an indulgent dessert after a scrumptious southern meal. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or trying your hand at southern cuisine for the first time, this recipe is both easy and rewarding to prepare.
For this mouthwatering dessert, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) container of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 box of vanilla wafers (approximately 45 cookies)
- 5 medium ripe bananas, sliced
Step-by-Step Recipe Instructions
Making Decadent Banana Pudding with Cream Cheese is simple when you follow these step-by-step instructions.
1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Add egg yolks to the mixture and blend well. Stir in whole milk, then cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Allow the pudding to cool completely.
2. In a separate large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Fold in the whipped topping to this mixture.
3. Assemble the pudding by first placing a layer of vanilla wafers in the bottom of a large serving dish. Next, add a layer of sliced bananas on top of the wafers. Pour half of the cooled pudding mixture on top of the bananas, followed by half of the cream cheese mixture. Repeat this process for a second layer of all the ingredients.
4. Cover and refrigerate the dish for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight to allow the flavors to meld and the dessert to firm up.
History, Origin and Curiosities
Decadent Banana Pudding with Cream Cheese is based on a classic southern dessert known simply as banana pudding. Traditional banana pudding consists of layers of vanilla wafers, sliced bananas, and a custard-like filling. However, this recipe puts a modern and luxurious spin by incorporating cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and whipped topping to create a rich, velvety experience that can only be described as decadent.
Banana pudding has a long history in the southern United States, dating back to the 19th century. Its first known published recipe appeared in a cookbook called “The Kentucky Housewife” in 1839. The addition of vanilla wafers as an essential ingredient came later in the 20th century, coinciding with the widespread popularity and availability of store-bought cookies.
Over the years, the recipe for banana pudding evolved, eventually including the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and whipped topping, as seen in this decadent version we’re featuring today. The authenticity and tradition of this dessert make it a staple at southern gatherings and celebrations.
Today, Decadent Banana Pudding with Cream Cheese is cherished not only in the south but all over the world, as people find joy in recreating this delightful treat. Its rich history and enticing combination of flavors make it a beloved classic for generations to come.