Best Tuna Noodle Casserole: A Creamy and Comforting Classic
Tuna Noodle Casserole is a beloved dish, with a creamy, satisfying taste that will take you back to your childhood. Hailing from the United States, this flavorful creation is sure to tantalize your taste buds and keep you coming back for more. Let’s explore the world of Tuna Noodle Casserole and learn how to create the best version of this classic comfort food.
To make the Best Tuna Noodle Casserole, gather the following ingredients:
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- 2 cans of tuna, drained
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp. of butter, melted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Step by Step Instructions
Following these step-by-step instructions will ensure a delicious and creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions until al dente, then drain and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the drained tuna, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, peas, cheddar cheese, milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown on top. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving, allowing the flavors to meld together.
History and Curiosities
The Tuna Noodle Casserole has been popular in American cuisine from the early 20th century, particularly during the post-World War II era, when canned foods were highly accessible. This dish became a staple in households across the country for its simplicity, affordability, and long shelf life of ingredients. It quickly gained the status of being a traditional American comfort food.
The Tuna Noodle Casserole is often associated with potlucks, family gatherings, and church events. Thanks to its versatility and adaptability, numerous variations of this delicious casserole have emerged over the years. Some families add their own twists, such as using canned or fresh vegetables, different types of pasta, or breadcrumbs with unique herbs and spices.
Tuna Noodle Casserole serves as a reminder of the resourcefulness and creativity of American home cooks throughout history, adapting to the availability of ingredients and creating dishes that provide warmth and comfort.