Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a spicy, cheesy, and incredibly satisfying dish that everyone will love. Combining the best of classic comfort food with the bold flavors of buffalo chicken wings, this dish is a game changer. The tender chicken, creamy cheese sauce, and the kick of buffalo sauce pair perfectly with the macaroni to create a truly indulgent meal that you won’t be able to get enough of it.
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni or pasta of choice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onion or parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Cook your pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, and cook until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Stir constantly to avoid lumps. Remove the saucepan from heat and mix in the shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese, buffalo sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until the cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and shredded chicken, mixing everything together until well coated with the cheese sauce. Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs with the melted butter. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the macaroni in the baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Allow the Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese to cool slightly before topping with crumbled blue cheese and chopped green onions or parsley for garnish. Serve and enjoy!
History & Curiosities:
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese has its roots in two distinct culinary traditions, making it a fusion of comfort food recipes. Buffalo chicken wings first originated in the city of Buffalo, New York, where they were first served at the Anchor Bar in 1964. The bar’s owner, Teressa Bellissimo, created the now-iconic sauce-flavored wings on a whim for her son and his friends, and they quickly became a popular bar food.
The history of macaroni and cheese, on the other hand, dates back even further, with versions of the dish found in 14th-century Italian cookbooks. Mac and cheese gained popularity in the United States after Thomas Jefferson, who developed an appreciation for the dish while visiting France, brought the recipe back to his home country.
The marriage of these two comfort foods into Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a more recent development, but it has quickly become a favorite among fans of both dishes. The combination of spicy buffalo sauce, tender chicken, and creamy macaroni and cheese elevates classic comfort food to new levels of flavor. This dish is a testament to the creativity and adaptability of American cuisine, blending traditions and cultures in a bowl of pure indulgence.