Chicken Alfredo with jar sauce is a classic dish that has gained popularity across the globe due to its rich, creamy taste and the simplicity of its preparation. It combines tender, juicy chicken with a velvety, garlicky Alfredo sauce smothered over a bed of pasta. In this article, we will explore, step by step, how to prepare this decadent dish using jar sauce, making it a perfect choice for a busy weeknight dinner or an indulgent feast.
To start, gather the following ingredients for this quick and satisfying meal:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed or sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 jar (15 oz) Alfredo sauce
- 8 oz pasta of your choice (fettuccine, linguine, or penne recommended)
- Optional: Freshly grated parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, or red pepper flakes for garnishing
Step by Step Instructions
Begin by following these simple steps to create a delicious Chicken Alfredo meal:
- Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken: Heat the olive oil or butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Cook the pasta: While the chicken is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Warm the Alfredo sauce: In the same skillet used for the chicken, pour in the jar of Alfredo sauce and heat over medium-low heat until warmed through.
- Combine and serve: Add the cooked chicken and pasta to the skillet with the Alfredo sauce. Stir well to combine and ensure everything is coated in the sauce. Serve immediately, garnished with parmesan cheese, parsley, or red pepper flakes if desired.
History and Curiosities
Chicken Alfredo has its origins in Rome, Italy. The classic version of this dish, known as Fettuccine Alfredo, was created by restaurateur Alfredo di Lelio in the early 20th century. Legend has it that Alfredo developed this recipe to help his pregnant wife regain her appetite with a nutritious, delicious meal. The original recipe was a simple combination of butter, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese tossed with cooked fettuccine.
The addition of chicken to this classic pasta dish is a more recent adaptation, popularized in the United States. It makes for a more filling, protein-rich meal, and it quickly gained favor among American families looking for quick and easy dinner options.
Using jar sauce is a convenient way to bring this classic Italian-American dish to your table without having to create the Alfredo sauce from scratch. It saves time and effort, especially for busy families, without sacrificing flavor. You can find a variety of jarred Alfredo sauces at your local grocery store, with options to suit your personal taste preferences.
In conclusion, Chicken Alfredo with jar sauce is not only a tasty rendition of a classic dish but also offers an intriguing history and cultural significance. This comforting meal is perfect for those seeking a quick, satisfying dinner option that still feels indulgent and luxurious.