Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is a classic, comforting, and delicious meal that never fails to please the entire family. It’s the perfect dish to serve on a busy weeknight, when you want to put together a wholesome, nutritious, and satisfying dinner that everyone will surely love. Made with tender chicken, nutritious broccoli, and a creamy, cheesy sauce, this casserole is a true crowd-pleaser! This hearty dish is not only tasty, but it’s also very easy to prepare, making it an ideal choice for busy cooks who want to whip up a fabulous meal in no time. So let’s dive into the wonderful world of Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, and learn how to make this amazing recipe from scratch.
To make Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 4 cups of broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 can (10.5 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
To make this scrumptious Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, follow these simple steps:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken and blanched broccoli florets. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl, whisk together the condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Pour this sauce over the chicken and broccoli in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, melted butter, and paprika. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the sauce in the baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and golden brown on top.
- Allow the casserole to rest for a few minutes before serving.
History and Curiosities
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is believed to have originated in American households during the 1950s and 1960s, when convenience cooking was on the rise. With the introduction of canned soups and other premade ingredients, cooks were able to create a variety of delicious and relatively easy casseroles. This dish quickly became popular due to its simplicity, affordability, and delicious taste.
The base ingredients of Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, chicken and broccoli, have a long history in various culinary traditions. Chicken, particularly in the Southern United States, was a staple protein, while broccoli, which is native to the Mediterranean region, was introduced to the Americas in the 18th century. Both ingredients are not only versatile but also offer numerous health benefits, making them an excellent choice for a nutritious and delicious casserole.
The use of canned soups as a base for casseroles is a characteristic feature of mid-20th-century American cuisine. The smooth, velvety texture of canned cream of chicken soup helps to create a rich and flavorful sauce in this dish, while also being quick and convenient to use.
In conclusion, Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is a much-loved, family-friendly meal that has been enjoyed by families all over the United States for decades. Its rich, creamy sauce and tender chicken and broccoli make it both hearty and satisfying, while its relatively easy recipe ensures that even the busiest cooks can whip up this delicious casserole in no time. So go ahead and give this classic recipe a try – you won’t be disappointed!