Cream of Mushroom Soup Chicken is a classic dish that has stood the test of time, loved by families and friends all around the world. This recipe combines the creamy, savory flavors of mushroom soup with tender, juicy chicken to create a simple and satisfying dinner that can be enjoyed on any occasion. The hearty, captivating taste of this dish is sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. So, let’s dive in and learn how to prepare this delicious meal.
To serve 4-6 people, you will need:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: fresh herbs for garnish (such as parsley or thyme)
Follow these simple steps to prepare your Cream of Mushroom Soup Chicken dinner:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, chopped onion, and minced garlic to the skillet, and cook until the mushrooms are tender and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and 1 cup of milk until smooth. Stir in the cooked mushroom mixture and the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Season the boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. Arrange the chicken breasts in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Pour the mushroom soup mixture over the chicken breasts, spreading it evenly. Bake the chicken for 35-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, such as parsley or thyme, before serving alongside your favorite sides.
This dish is not only incredibly tasty but also quite easy to prepare, making it a perfect choice for busy weeknights or entertaining guests. You can also customize the recipe with your favorite herbs or by using different types of mushrooms to add a unique, personal touch.
A Brief History and Curiosities
Cream of Mushroom Soup Chicken has its origins in American cuisine, with the first known published recipe appearing in the 1930s. The use of condensed cream of mushroom soup as a base for sauces and dishes became popular during this time, as it allowed home cooks to create flavorful, satisfying meals with minimal effort. This convenience and simplicity contributed to the widespread appeal and popularity of the dish, as families enjoyed the tasty combination of chicken and mushroom soup.
As an interesting curiosity, the Campbell’s Soup Company played a significant role in popularizing this type of dish, using creamed soup as a versatile ingredient in their advertising campaigns during the mid-20th century. This marketing approach helped to establish cream of mushroom soup as a pantry staple in many American households.
Today, Cream of Mushroom Soup Chicken continues to be enjoyed both in its original form and with various adaptations, representing the comfort of home-cooked meals that can be shared with loved ones. A testament to the dish’s enduring appeal, it remains a beloved classic in American cuisine.