Pizza is a staple dish in many households and restaurants around the world, but what sets a truly incredible pizza apart from the rest is the sauce. A delicious and robust homemade sauce doesn’t have to be difficult to make. In fact, this Homemade Pizza Sauce with Tomato Sauce recipe provides a flavorful foundation for your pizza night creations!
The process is simple, but the end result is a sauce that’s bursting with tangy, savory, and slightly sweet flavors that takes your pizza to the next level. So, let’s dive in and explore this delectable recipe!
To make this delicious Homemade Pizza Sauce with Tomato Sauce, you’ll need:
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional, for a little heat)
To make your Homemade Pizza Sauce with Tomato Sauce, simply follow these steps:
1. Combine ingredients in a small saucepan: In a small saucepan, mix together tomato sauce, sugar, oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes (if using).
2. Simmer the sauce: Over low heat, let the sauce simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will allow the flavors to meld together and create a richer taste.
3. Cool and store: Once the sauce has simmered, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool completely. You can use the sauce immediately, or transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
The History and Curiosities of Pizza Sauce
For those curious about the origins of pizza sauce, it can be traced back to Naples, Italy in the early 18th century. Tomatoes were first introduced to Italy from the Americas in the 16th century, but it took some time for them to catch on as a staple ingredient in Italian cuisine.
Early Neapolitan pizza was simply topped with garlic, oregano, and olive oil, but as the popularity of tomatoes grew, they began to be incorporated into sauces for pizza. The classic “Margherita” pizza, made with basil, fresh mozzarella, and tomato sauce, was created in honor of Queen Margherita of Savoy during a visit to Naples in 1889.
Throughout the years, pizza sauce has evolved to include various herbs, spices, and flavor profiles, influenced by the tastes of different regions and cultures around the world. Today, there are countless variations of pizza sauce recipes to suit every palate.
This Homemade Pizza Sauce with Tomato Sauce recipe captures the essence of a classic pizza sauce, with its robust flavors and simplicity. Whether you’re an experienced cook or new to the kitchen, this sauce is sure to impress your family and friends, as well as pair perfectly with your favorite pizza toppings. Enjoy experimenting with your homemade pizza creations and discover the joy of a delicious and flavorful sauce!