Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting: A Fall Favorite
As the leaves turn golden and the air turns crisp during the autumn months, comfort foods are on the rise, and one dessert that has won the hearts of many is the delightfully moist and flavorful pumpkin bar. Topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting, this fall favorite is a guaranteed hit at any gathering, home, or party. This scrumptious dessert not only fulfills your sweet tooth cravings but also brings warmth and joy to the season.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Step by Step Instructions
To create these delicious pumpkin bars, follow the steps listed below:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, vegetable oil, and pumpkin puree until smooth. Gradually add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the pumpkin bars to cool completely before frosting.
- While the bars are cooling, prepare the cream cheese frosting. In a medium bowl, beat together softened cream cheese and butter until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Once the pumpkin bars have cooled completely, spread an even layer of cream cheese frosting on top. Slice into squares, serve, and enjoy!
History and Curiosities of Pumpkin Bars and Cream Cheese Frosting
Pumpkin bars and cream cheese frosting have their roots in American culinary history, specifically dating back to the 18th century. The use of fresh pumpkins in desserts became increasingly popular as pumpkins were an abundant, versatile, and affordable ingredient. Pumpkin dessert recipes, including pies, breads, and cakes, have been documented in old American cookbooks known as “receipt books.”
The addition of cream cheese frosting as a complementary topping to pumpkin bars can be traced back to the 20th century when the use of cream cheese began to gain popularity in various desserts, such as cheesecakes and red velvet cakes.
Nowadays, pumpkin bars and cream cheese frosting are adored for their perfect balance of textures and flavors, with the soft and moist pumpkin bars complementing the rich and creamy frosting. Apart from Thanksgiving and Halloween, these bars have become a staple during fall harvest festivals and gatherings, symbolizing warmth and a sense of belonging.
In conclusion, pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting are not only a delicious treat to enjoy during the fall season but also hold a significant place in the American culinary heritage. So, next time you indulge in this delightful dessert, remember the rich history behind it and appreciate the legacy it carries.