Salisbury Steak with Onion Soup Mix is a delicious and easy dish that you can prepare in your own kitchen. This savory and hearty recipe features flavorful ground beef patties smothered in a tasty onion soup sauce, making it a perfect comfort food for any day of the week. With just a few ingredients and simple steps, you can bring this mouthwatering dish to your dinner table. And as you learn how to make this dish, you’ll also discover its history and some interesting facts that add depth to your culinary skills. So, let’s get cooking!
To make Salisbury Steak with Onion Soup Mix, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
To prepare Salisbury Steak with Onion Soup Mix, follow these straightforward steps:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, half of the onion soup mix, milk, and egg. Mix until well combined.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into six equal-sized oval-shaped patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Brown the patties on both sides, cooking for about five minutes per side. Then, remove them from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, use the leftover oil to mix the remaining onion soup mix, water, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir this mixture well, and bring it to a boil.
- Place the browned meat patties back into the skillet with the simmering sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the patties are cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Serve your Salisbury Steaks with a side of mashed potatoes, rice, or buttered noodles, and a simple salad or steamed vegetables to complete your meal.
History and Curiosities
The history of Salisbury Steak dates back to the 19th century. It was invented by Dr. James H. Salisbury, an American physician who was a staunch advocate of a meat-based diet to promote good health. He believed that the consumption of fruits, vegetables, and starches contributed to various diseases, while a diet high in protein would help prevent those afflictions. Thus, he came up with the concept of ground meat patties and recommended consuming them three times a day.
Over time, the recipe evolved into what we know today, with the addition of breadcrumbs, egg, and seasonings. It gained popularity in the United States and Britain, and eventually became a staple dish in many households.
As for the onion soup mix used in our recipe, it adds a layer of flavor, depth, and richness to the dish while keeping it simple and easy to prepare. So the next time you make Salisbury Steak with Onion Soup Mix, not only are you enjoying a delicious, comforting meal, but you’re also taking part in a culinary tradition sparked by an interesting slice of history.