Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Tomato Sauce is a staple in Italian cuisine and comfort food at its finest. Rich, flavorful, and satisfying, this dish is perfect for family gatherings, special occasions, or a cozy dinner at home. It is a versatile sauce, ideal for pairing with various pasta shapes. The following recipe includes simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps that will leave you with a delicious, authentic Italian sauce.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Step by Step Instructions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the dried oregano and basil, and cook for an additional minute.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and red wine to the saucepan. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it cook for about 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
4. Taste the sauce and season with a pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper as desired. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
5. Serve the sauce over cooked spaghetti or your choice of pasta. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
History and Curiosities of the Recipe
The origins of tomato sauce can be traced back to Italian cuisine in the early 19th century, more specifically, the region of Naples. Tomatoes arrived in Italy from the New World in the 16th century and took some time to be widely accepted. However, with time, they became a staple ingredient in the Italian kitchen.
In those days, tomato sauce was quite different from the modern version, primarily because spices and herbs were less available than they are today. The evolution of this classic sauce is a testament to the creativity of Italian cooks throughout history.
Some interesting curiosities about tomato sauce and spaghetti meals include:
– A popular urban myth says that the famous explorer Marco Polo introduced spaghetti to Italy from China. In reality, pasta was already being consumed by Italians before his time.
– The iconic “spaghetti kiss” scene in the cartoon Disney’s Lady and the Tramp made spaghetti synonymous with romantic dinners.
– Different regions in Italy have their own unique versions of spaghetti sauce, reflecting the local ingredients and culinary traditions.
This Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Tomato Sauce celebrates the rich history and tradition of Italian comfort food. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting your culinary journey, this recipe will surely impress your friends and family and bring a touch of Italy into your home.