Savory Beef Tips and Noodles is a comfort food classic that has been delighting taste buds for generations. This hearty dish is perfect for busy weeknights and family dinners alike, as it combines tender beef tips, succulent mushrooms, and perfectly cooked noodles, all in a rich and savory sauce. The combination of flavors and textures make it a crowd-pleasing favorite that is sure to become a staple in your own home.
- 1 ½ pounds lean beef sirloin tips, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Start by heating the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the beef tips and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
2. In the same skillet, add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sliced mushrooms, cooking for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the mushrooms release their liquid and begin to brown.
3. Add the flour to the skillet, stirring to coat the vegetables, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the beef broth, red wine (if using), Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and return the beef tips to the skillet.
4. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.
5. While the beef mixture is simmering, cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and return them to the pot, then toss them with butter and chopped parsley.
6. To serve, spoon the savory beef tips and sauce over the buttered noodles.
History and Curiosities
Savory Beef Tips and Noodles has its origins in the European stroganoff, a dish that is believed to have been named after the Russian Count Alexander Stroganoff. In the mid-19th century, the count’s chef created a dish of sautéed beef and mushrooms in a sour cream sauce, which was later adapted by various cuisines, including American, with the addition of noodles.
The use of beef tips in this recipe is a nod to the tradition of using cheaper cuts of meat, which were more readily available to the masses. These cuts would be slowly cooked to bring out their tenderness and flavor. This classic comfort food recipe is now enjoyed across various regions of the world, with some variations on the ingredients and preparation method.
One of the main curiosities surrounding this dish is that it is considered a true “fusion” cuisine, as it combines elements of Russian and American cooking techniques. While it maintains its Eastern European flavor, the addition of noodles – a staple in American cuisine – gives it a unique twist.
In summary, Savory Beef Tips and Noodles is a comforting and delicious dish with a rich history and cultural significance. Its hearty, flavorful ingredients and relatively simple preparation method make it a perennial favorite for family dinners and gatherings, ensuring it will continue to be enjoyed for generations to come.