Savory Tater Tot Casserole with Ground Beef is a delicious, comforting, and crowd-pleasing dish that brings people together at any gathering or family dinner. Its scrumptious combination of ground beef, creamy sauce, cheese, and golden-brown tater tots ensures that this recipe will leave everyone satisfied and craving seconds. Whether you’re a professional cook, beginner, or just a tater tot enthusiast, this dish is bound to impress.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (2-pound) bag of frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, parsley, or bacon bits
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
2. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef with the chopped onions over medium heat until browned and fully cooked. Drain excess grease. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Stir in the cooked ground beef mixture until well combined.
4. Spread the beef and sauce mixture evenly into your prepared casserole dish. Then, arrange the frozen tater tots on top in a single layer.
5. Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the tater tots are golden-brown and crispy.
6. Remove the casserole from the oven, and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the top. Return the dish to the oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
7. Finally, let the casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving. You can top it with optional toppings like chopped green onions, parsley, or bacon bits for some extra flavor and color.
History and Curiosities of the Tater Tot Casserole
Originating in the United States, the tater tot casserole has become a popular comfort food dish over the past 60 years, especially in Midwestern states. The key ingredient, tater tots, were created by the Ore-Ida company in the early 1950s as a way to utilize potato scraps. The little potato nuggets quickly became a hit and earned their place in American culinary history.
The tater tot casserole is also known as a hotdish, which is a term particularly used in the Upper Midwest region, like Minnesota and North Dakota. Hotdish recipes often consist of a protein, starch, and a canned soup, making them hearty, convenient, and affordable – perfect for feeding large families or gatherings. This dish has become a staple at potlucks, church functions, and family gatherings in these regions.
Furthermore, the versatility of the tater tot casserole has led to numerous variations being developed over the years, such as substituting the ground beef with other proteins like chicken or turkey, or using different cream soups for a unique taste. Some families even have their own secret ingredient or toppings that they add to personalize the recipe, showcasing the adaptability of this beloved dish.
This Savory Tater Tot Casserole with Ground Beef recipe not only delivers on taste but also tells a story of American culinary tradition and the communities that cherish it. Give it a try and experience the comfort and history that lies within this delicious and satisfying dish.