When it comes to comfort food, nothing can beat the rich and creamy taste of homemade Chicken Enchiladas with Cream of Chicken Soup. This Tex-Mex delight combines tender chicken, zesty green chiles, and a luscious cream of chicken soup, all wrapped up in soft corn tortillas and topped with a generous sprinkling of cheese. Perfect for a family dinner or a festive gathering with friends, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to create this delicious dish, and delve into its history and interesting facts surrounding it.
To get started, gather the following ingredients:
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup diced green chiles
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups cream of chicken soup (canned or homemade)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or a blend)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Follow these steps to create your scrumptious Chicken Enchiladas with Cream of Chicken Soup:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, diced green chiles, and half of the diced onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup and sour cream, stirring until smooth.
- In a skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Using tongs, lightly fry each tortilla for a few seconds on each side, just until soft and pliable. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- To assemble the enchiladas, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish. Repeat until all tortillas are filled and arranged in the dish.
- Pour the cream of chicken soup mixture over the enchiladas, ensuring they are evenly covered. Sprinkle the remaining diced onion and shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired, and serve immediately.
History and Curiosities
Chicken Enchiladas with Cream of Chicken Soup may be a classic Tex-Mex dish, but its roots can be traced back to ancient Mexico, where people of the Mayan civilization crafted simple, yet delicious dishes using corn tortillas. These tortillas were often rolled around fillings, such as beans, vegetables, or meat, and then baked or fried. The word enchilada comes from the Spanish term enchilar, which means “to add chili pepper to” – a fitting name for this spicy and flavorful dish.
Tex-Mex cuisine, a fusion of American and Mexican culinary traditions, took form over the course of the 20th century, with dishes like these creamy chicken enchiladas becoming popular among both Mexicans and Americans living in the border states. The addition of cream of chicken soup and sour cream is characteristic of Tex-Mex cooking, providing a rich and hearty contrast to the spicy green chiles that are a staple of Mexican cuisine.
Chicken Enchiladas with Cream of Chicken Soup has become a beloved comfort food in many households today, offering a satisfying and scrumptious meal that can be easily customized to suit individual preferences. Whether you prefer your enchiladas mild or extra spicy, one thing is for certain – this Tex-Mex delight is a dish that will leave everyone at the table reaching for seconds.