The Sock-It-To-Me Cake: a delicious cinnamon swirl throwback treat that you cannot miss! This cake, first gaining popularity in the 1960s and 1970s, brings back a sense of nostalgia, while creating new memories for the whole family. Not only does it taste delightful, but the process of making it is enjoyable for all skill levels. So, get ready to bring your passion for cooking into this delectable recipe that takes a simple cake mix and transforms it into a gluttonous masterpiece with luscious cinnamon swirls that are sure to please every palate.
To make this unique Sock-It-To-Me Cake, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the cinnamon swirl filling, gather these ingredients:
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
To make a perfect Sock-It-To-Me Cake, carefully follow these steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or a bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, sugar, water, eggs, and vanilla extract. Blend and beat with an electric mixer at low speed until the ingredients are moistened. Increase the mixer speed to medium and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
3. For the cinnamon swirl filling, mix the chopped pecans, sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa powder in a small bowl.
4. Pour 2/3 of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon swirl filling evenly over the batter. Then, pour the remaining batter on top of the filling, using a spatula to spread it evenly.
5. Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 25 minutes before inverting it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
History and Curiosities
Sock-It-To-Me Cake owes its origin to the Southern United States, where it emerged as a popular dessert in the 1960s and 1970s. Its name is believed to have been inspired by the catchphrase “Sock it to me!” from the television show Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In. This catchphrase was used as a comedic punchline, and it’s no wonder that it was applied to this delicious cake.
The cake’s distinctive flavor and appearance, featuring a yellow cake base with a cinnamon and pecan filling swirled throughout, quickly garnered this dessert a devoted following. The cake’s texture is moist and rich, due in large part to the addition of sour cream. In fact, the inclusion of sour cream marked the Sock-It-To-Me Cake as a groundbreaking innovation at the time, showing that even classic recipes can be improved with the right touch.
Today, the Sock-It-To-Me Cake is a true testament to the gastronomic heritage of the Southern United States and serves as a delicious reminder of the region’s creativity and passion for food. Nostalgic and comforting, yet refined and exceptional, the Sock-It-To-Me Cake has earned its place in the pantheon of cherished dessert recipes, and it continues to delight new generations of cake enthusiasts across the globe.